VDI Smackdown: Head-to-head analysis of Citrix XenDesktop, Microsoft etc… via @rpruijt
Great work!!!! :-) Continue reading!!!
Are you looking for an independent overview of desktop virtualization solutions and curious about the different strategy questions? Do you want detailed information about the features and functions each desktop virtualization vendor is offering!? If so the VDI Smackdown you definitely must read!
In the current market there is an increasing demand for unbiased information about desktop virtualization solutions. This white paper is focused on solutions that are anticipated to have an important role in desktop virtualization deployments. An overview of available features of each solution has been created to allow an understanding and comparison of capabilities.
The latest solutions included in the feature matrix are: Citrix XenDesktop 5.6FP1, Citrix VDI-in-a-Box 5.2, Dell vWorkspace 7.6, Microsoft RDVH Windows8/Server 2012 and VMware View 5.2; The English whitepaper can be downloaded here. The Japanese version will be available as soon as possible.
Empowering the end-user by giving access to Windows, Web and Mobile applications so he can access data and information systems from both private and public datacenters regardless of the device or location is the ultimate strategic objective.
The delivery of the classic (Windows) desktop interface can be divided in two segments:
- the classic desktop and laptop, running Windows, Linux or Mac OS X;
- the virtual desktop running in the datacenter or local on the classic workstation.
In essence “desktop virtualization” is the de-coupling of the desktop, operating system and the applications from the underlying endpoint or device. This kind of virtualization can be subdivided into two types:
- With the first type applications are executed remotely, server hosted, and presented at the endpoint via a remote display protocol.
- With the second type applications are executed at the endpoint, client-side and presented locally.
Making Windows, Web and Mobile applications available to the end-user, regardless of the technology being used, is an important strategic objective of an advanced IT infrastructure. The Virtual Desktop (vDesktop) is an essential component in the range of Application and Desktop delivery solutions and in essence, it provides the following functions:
- Flexibility: Detach the vDesktop from the endpoint; Several vDesktops can be used next to one another
- BYO: enables delivery of applications and desktops for BYO scenario’s;
- Access: vDesktop works independently of location, endpoint and network;
- Security: Server Hosted – VDI; data in the computing center;
- Freedom: Every user can have his own desktop with administrator privileges when needed;
- Management: Centrally managed and hardware independent;
- Legacy: It is simple to offer legacy applications on a state-of-the-art platform;
- Sustainability: Power Management, handling the necessary resources in an efficient manner
The transition to a dynamic and optimized desktop is causing many IT organizations to reevaluate traditional IT operations, deployment, delivery, packaging, support, and management methods.
Desktop virtualization is a key component in the optimized desktop. It’s important to have a Vision and Strategy around application and desktop delivery and enterprise mobility. Designing, building, managing and maintaining the desktop virtualization…
Continue reading here!
- RT @hypervserver: RT @markscholman: #Azure Resource Manager Preview SDKs are available for multiple languages and platforms - http://t.co/T… 9 hours ago
- RT @SharePoint: Introducing Office UI Fabric—your key to designing add-ins for #Office! ow.ly/RBjm7 23 hours ago
- RT @vNiklas: New performance monitoring in Microsoft Operations Management Suite #moms #Azure "Near real-time Perf monitoring" http://t.co… 23 hours ago
- RT @vNiklas: Windows Management Framework 5.0 Production Preview is now available - Windows PowerShell Blog blogs.msdn.com/b/powershell/a… 1 day ago
- RT @hypervserver: RT @Hambueckers: Microsoft rolls out first public preview of SharePoint Server 2016 zd.net/1JPN1dV via @ZDNet &am… 1 day ago
- Citrix Lifecycle Management cloud service – is it something for you? YES! – #Citrix, #WorkSpaceCloud, #DaaS @EnvokeIT
- Finally – Citrix Workspace Cloud is GA! – #Citrix, #WorkSpaceCloud, #DaaS, #SaaS, @EnvokeIT
- Converged Microsoft Account and Azure Active Directory Programming Model – #Microsoft, #Azure
- FINALLY!! Nutanix Community Edition (CE) is here and it’s FREE!! – #Nutanix, #EnvokeIT, #Virtualization via (@andreleibovici
- Azure AD Premium a visionary in Gartner IDaaS Magic Quadrant! I love it! – #Azure, #AzureAD, #IDaaS
- Learn #data science essentials w/ experts from M.I.T. & develop your career with this free, 5-week program: msft.it/6015ByMwN 22 minutes ago
- RT @OpenhourCo: On Openhour's Azure move: “At Openhour, the experience of our customers inspires every innovation,” explains Hirsch. http:/… 25 minutes ago
- New on the #MachineLearning blog: A free Excel add-in that you can use w/ web services published from #AzureML! msft.it/6011ByMd1 51 minutes ago
- Read how AutoCosmos used #AzureSearch to add an easily-maintained search experience to their site & reduce costs: msft.it/6012ByMjy 1 hour ago
- @simonroses Hope you can join us, Simon! 1 hour ago
- Citrix Blog: Como reduzir o custo e a complexidade de implementar espaços de trabalho móveis e aplica... bit.ly/1Us3lBn #citrixblog 50 minutes ago
- Citrix Blog: Citrix Ready Partners at Key Trade Shows and Events bit.ly/1IIIjrb #citrixblog 6 hours ago
- Citrix Blog: New Episode! Citrix Channel News Live on September 9th bit.ly/1O6dwJT #CitrixPartners 23 hours ago
- Citrix Blog: Mobility Experts: Migration from XenMobile 9.0 to 10.1: Lessons Learned In the Field bit.ly/1UkDTDd #citrixblog 1 day ago
- Citrix Blog: FIRST! Nutanix Verified as Citrix Ready for Citrix Workspace Cloud! bit.ly/1KDCjWR #citrixblog 1 day ago
- Access Gateway
- Active Directory (AD)
- Application Insights
- Azure Stack
- Client Services
- Configuration Manager
- Device Management
- Enterprise Architecture
- Internet Explorer
- Management – Leadership
- Office 365
- Project Management
- Provisioning Services
- Remote Desktop Services (RDS)
- Service Management
- Service Manager
- SharePoint Server 2013
- System Center
- Windows 8
- Windows RT
- Windows Server 2012