VDI Smackdown: Head-to-head analysis of Citrix XenDesktop, Microsoft etc… via @rpruijt
Great work!!!! Continue reading!!!
Are you looking for an independent overview of desktop virtualization solutions and curious about the different strategy questions? Do you want detailed information about the features and functions each desktop virtualization vendor is offering!? If so the VDI Smackdown you definitely must read!
In the current market there is an increasing demand for unbiased information about desktop virtualization solutions. This white paper is focused on solutions that are anticipated to have an important role in desktop virtualization deployments. An overview of available features of each solution has been created to allow an understanding and comparison of capabilities.
The latest solutions included in the feature matrix are: Citrix XenDesktop 5.6FP1, Citrix VDI-in-a-Box 5.2, Dell vWorkspace 7.6, Microsoft RDVH Windows8/Server 2012 and VMware View 5.2; The English whitepaper can be downloaded here. The Japanese version will be available as soon as possible.
Empowering the end-user by giving access to Windows, Web and Mobile applications so he can access data and information systems from both private and public datacenters regardless of the device or location is the ultimate strategic objective.
The delivery of the classic (Windows) desktop interface can be divided in two segments:
- the classic desktop and laptop, running Windows, Linux or Mac OS X;
- the virtual desktop running in the datacenter or local on the classic workstation.
In essence “desktop virtualization” is the de-coupling of the desktop, operating system and the applications from the underlying endpoint or device. This kind of virtualization can be subdivided into two types:
- With the first type applications are executed remotely, server hosted, and presented at the endpoint via a remote display protocol.
- With the second type applications are executed at the endpoint, client-side and presented locally.
Making Windows, Web and Mobile applications available to the end-user, regardless of the technology being used, is an important strategic objective of an advanced IT infrastructure. The Virtual Desktop (vDesktop) is an essential component in the range of Application and Desktop delivery solutions and in essence, it provides the following functions:
- Flexibility: Detach the vDesktop from the endpoint; Several vDesktops can be used next to one another
- BYO: enables delivery of applications and desktops for BYO scenario’s;
- Access: vDesktop works independently of location, endpoint and network;
- Security: Server Hosted – VDI; data in the computing center;
- Freedom: Every user can have his own desktop with administrator privileges when needed;
- Management: Centrally managed and hardware independent;
- Legacy: It is simple to offer legacy applications on a state-of-the-art platform;
- Sustainability: Power Management, handling the necessary resources in an efficient manner
The transition to a dynamic and optimized desktop is causing many IT organizations to reevaluate traditional IT operations, deployment, delivery, packaging, support, and management methods.
Desktop virtualization is a key component in the optimized desktop. It’s important to have a Vision and Strategy around application and desktop delivery and enterprise mobility. Designing, building, managing and maintaining the desktop virtualization…
Continue reading here!
Leave a Reply Cancel reply
- Access Gateway
- Active Directory (AD)
- Client Services
- Configuration Manager
- Device Management
- Enterprise Architecture
- Internet Explorer
- Management – Leadership
- Office 365
- Project Management
- Provisioning Services
- Remote Desktop Services (RDS)
- Service Management
- Service Manager
- SharePoint Server 2013
- System Center
- Windows 8
- Windows RT
- #NetScaler is really great! More enterprise and multi site capable NS Insight would be good though! #CitrixSynergy http://t.co/OVdBC0cl1B 2 minutes ago
- Worx Apps not yet in the demo center.. To bad, want to get my hands on the "integrated" Worx components! :-) #CitrixSynergy 1 hour ago
- RT @CitrixBlogs: Citrix Blog: Monitoring of XenDesktop 7 with Director and EdgeSight, taking it to the next level bit.ly/18iG8v8 #c… 4 hours ago
- RT @appdna: Citrix Blog: AppDNA Now Accelerates XenDesktop 7 Virtual Application Migration bit.ly/168VnJT #xendesktop #citrixsyner… 4 hours ago
- I like selective wipe, but I still don't like MDM. Someone could click "complete wipe"... Not really BYOD friendly. Go MAM! #CitrixSynergy 4 hours ago
- Bolster your website with social media. Learn how on June 11.: Attention Citrix Solution Advisors: Register no... bit.ly/13Jttgl 8 minutes ago
- Citrix Blog: Bolster your website with social media. Learn how on June 11. bit.ly/14StSQ5 #citrixblog 31 minutes ago
- Monitoring of XenDesktop 7 with Director and EdgeSight, taking it to the next level: (Co-authored with Lisa Gr... bit.ly/14yzShg 3 hours ago
- Citrix Blog: Monitoring of XenDesktop 7 with Director and EdgeSight, taking it to the next level bit.ly/18iG8v8 #citrixblog 4 hours ago
- Citrix Blog: AppDNA Now Accelerates XenDesktop 7 Virtual Application Migration bit.ly/168VnJT #citrixblog #citrixsynergy 4 hours ago