Ok, yesterday I posted that Citrix announces the Worx apps which I think is a GREAT story and it looks as the killer apps!
I got you excited I guess, but this is of course also not something that we’ll see released in May! The first release now in June will release the Worx Enroll and Worx Home apps, but Worx Home will only be the “store” for Mobile and Web apps. The XenDesktop/XenApp integration comes in the next release so until then the Receiver is still the client for that type of delivery.
I got to play around with Worx Home a bit yesterday and I really liked the way it displays the apps and how they easily can be sorted in a groups by type or folder structure. And then when you get XA/XD items in there and they are placed right next to all the other apps on your mobile device and you can launch Excel from you iPad directly instead of going through and opening the Worx Home or Receiver app the integration is really user friendly. But then again; don’t we still for the majority of the use cases think that XA/XD are “legacy” solutions? wouldn’t we rather strive to get into a complete SaaS model instead of adding these expensive hosted solutions? I know it won’t go away and there are great use cases for XA and XD but I would still say it’s legacy, park it and contain it and work on your strategy to change the model and become future ready!
And for those that don’t go off and purchase the Mobile Solution Bundle in the future can continue to use the Receiver for their “legacy” XenApp/XenDesktop service delivery. The question is how this will be evolving though, I foresee a risk that to much of the focus in the future will be agains the Worx apps and that is something that may lead to longer release cycles of fixes and updates of the Receiver. That my of course not be an issue either though many companies today are struggling with that Citrix “goes to fast” and it’s hard to keep up (and Citrix has a hard time keeping up as well).
Stay tuned for a more complete update after Synergy!
“Worx Enroll” and “Worx Home” apps announced to support the MDM, MAM, Web, Saas and Win apps/desktop (XA/XD) from ONE STORE!!
This is something that we all have been waiting for!! Finally a one-stop-shop/app in where an end user can use their personal devices and consume MAM, MIM and WaaS (Windows as a Service) deliverables without enrolling to a full MDM service. And those devices that are corporate assets enables you to do the same delivery and add the MDM capabilities needed (e.g: geofencing, pass code and other policies and asset mgmt) with the same end user UI!!!
I want to see this in action and get my hands on it NOW!
So here we are! Keynote is about to start!
what can we expect? This is one thing that I definitely like to see:
- MDM + MAM + MIM + XA/XD= one solution/service! Have they finally made some progress into integrating Zenprise, AppController and StoreFront into one “App Store” and policy governance model so that we have one (1) app that handles both MDM, MAM and MIM from a device/user perspective?
Let the show begin!
I agree with this great article and the analysis made by Gartner.
Bring-your-own-device (BYOD) has for some time been gaining traction in the workplace, as not only a way of freeing up IT costs but also liberalizing workers from being virtually chained, clunky, aging machines at their desks.
But latest research from Gartner suggests that by 2017, half of employers may impose a mandatory BYOD policy — requiring staffs to bring their own laptop, tablet and smartphone to work.
As an optional policy, workplaces still have an IT fallback option, but many are choosing to bring their own tablets and smartphones to work in order to work more effectively using the technology they feel more comfortable with.
Some interesting tidbits from the research:
- 38 percent of companies expect to stop providing workplace devices to staff by 2016. (PCs, such as desktops and laptops, are included in the definition of BYOD.)
- BYOD is most prevalent in midsize and larger enterprises, often generating between $500m-$5bn in revenue per year, with 2,500-5,000 employees on the roster.
- BRIC nations, such as India, China, and Brazil, will most likely already be using a personal device — typically a “standard mobile phone” — at work.
- Meanwhile, companies in the U.S. are more likely to allow BYOD than those in Europe (likely due to stronger data protection rules, see below).
- Around half of all BYOD programs provide a partial reimbursement, while full reimbursement costs “will become rare.”
- Gartner vice president David Willis says companies should “subsidize only the service plan on a smartphone.”
But there’s a problem within. Those who have yet to adopt a BYOD policy often generally cite one of two good reasons (or both): interoperability and…
Continue reading here!
This is kind of cool! Check it out!
Connect Office365 to AD for Free, with Okta
- Simple Set Up and Configuration - Enabling AD integration is a simple, wizard driven process. With the click of a button from the Okta administrative console you can download the Okta Active Directory agent and install it on any Windows Server that has access to your Domain Controller.
- Intelligent User Synchronization - Once the agent is installed and the initial user import takes place Okta intelligently processes the results.
- Robust Delegated Authentication - Okta’s AD integration also allows you to delegate the authentication into Okta, to your on-premises AD Domain.
- Integrated Desktop Single Sign-On - Okta leverages Microsoft’s Integrated Windows Authentication to seamlessly authenticate users to Okta that are already authenticated with their Windows domain.
Login VSI 4.0 released!!
Wow, I can’t believe that my week was this busy… tooo bad though I must say thank you so much to the Login VSI team for giving me the privilege to test Login VSI 4.0 Pro prior to the release… but did I have the time? Nooooo….
But it’s gonna be one of the first things I do when I get some spare time over some night/weekend in the near future!!
Below you find the press release and a bunch of pictures I got as a part of the “blogger preview” kit!
Improved ease of installation
- Minimized test image footprint
- Centralized management and updates
- Direct Desktop Launch Mode, saves on infrastructure
Improved ease of test creation
- New intuitive and workflow oriented UI
- New editor simplifies workload customization
- Benchmarking mode simplifies comparisons
Improved test realism
- More realistic user workload patterns
- More realistic dataset and data/file access
- Real-world test execution with multiple phases
Improved test insight
- New dashboard with real-time test feedback
- Enhanced VSImax accuracy
- Automated reporting of all relevant data